Who doesn’t love waking up to a lovely breakfast before starting the daily grind? These pancakes will surely hit the spot and wake up your senses, supercharge you with much needed energy, and as an added bonus, they are really healthy and gluten-free! Each bite gives you fiber, antioxidants, and energy, all mixed into these fluffy and tasty breakfast treat.
For those who aren’t a fan of blueberries, black currants are a lovely substitute and provides just as much nutrients. To make it even healthier, these are naturally sweetened by bananas, so none of the refined sugar gets into your meal.
Gluten-Free: Blueberry and Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp himalayan pink salt
- Coconut oil for cooking
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas well.
- Add the egg yolks, buckwheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and salt and whisk to blend the mixture well.
- Mix in the milk.
- Fold in the blueberries into the batter.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold gently into the batter, taking care not to whisk too much.
- Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot enough, pour ⅓ cup of batter into the pan.
- Cook until bubbles appear on top and when the edges and bottoms are golden brown, at approximately 2 minutes.
- Using a silicone spatula, flip the pancakes cook the other until golden brown and fluffy.
- Serve while still hot using natural maple syrup and fresh berries on the side.
- sea salt or kosher salt in place of himalayan pink salt
- organic black currants or raspberries instead of blueberries
- ghee instead of coconut oil